It’s D-Day, CSU

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It’s here. That fateful day that changes the course of American politics and the course of history.

It is Election Day.

And though we’re not voting in a new president, selecting the next person to represent us in Congress, as governor, county sheriff, senator and more, is vital to the continuation of our democracy and the evolution of Larimer County, Colorado and American policies.

As such, the following are the Collegian Editorial Board’s picks on this year’s ballot.

House of Representatives – Betsy Markey, Democrat
As a former Fort Collins business owner and Ram fan, incumbent Betsy Markey, D-Fort Collins, is a good pick for Congressional District 4. A supporter of legislation that makes higher education more accessible and of immigration reform, Markey will do good by Colorado. At least we know that she checks her facts before voting, unlike her republican opponent Cory Gardner, who ran an ad attacking the wrong Markey.
*
Senate – Neither Ken Buck or Sen. Michael Bennet*
Former Weld County District Attorney and Colorado tea party GOP Senate candidate Ken Buck is an extremist with his belief that homosexuality is a “choice” and his anti-government rhetoric.

On the other hand, we can’t do any better. Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet has, since his appointment, been a puppet of the Obama administration, unable to think or vote for himself.

Governor – John Hickenlooper, Democrat
Owner of the Wyncoop Brewing Company in LoDo, John Hickenlooper is the epitome of Colorado. Having run a clean race thus far and serving Denver well as its former mayor –– he was named one of the top-five big-city mayors in America by Time Magazine –– we’re ready to welcome the man who legalized the private use of less than one ounce of marijuana and who supports gay rights.
*
Sheriff – Jay Harrison, Democrat*
A K-9 dog trainer and 26-year law enforcement veteran, Jay Harrison is the right pick for sheriff. Pushing for more deputies on the streets –– community policing –– and the establishment of preventative programming to keep people out of jail, including the building of an alcohol recovery center in Larimer County, Harrison will help keep the county safe and get the Larimer County Sheriff’s Department out of its past 12-year funk.