Oct 032010
Authors: Cris Tiller

The Colorado State football team lost 27-0 to the No. 5 TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday in each school’s Mountain West Conference opener.

The game played out in two different halves for the Rams as they trailed by only six points entering halftime, thanks to a stout defense led by senior captain Ricky Brewer.

TCU brought a heavy dose of the run to the second half and CSU could not find an answer.

After giving up big passing plays in several games this season, the Rams’ defense kept TCU to barely over 100 yards through the air, but surrendered 346 yards on the ground.

Offensively, CSU was stagnant the entire day, gaining 161 total yards of offense, 116 of which came from true freshman quarterback Pete Thomas.

After winning MWC Player of the Week honors just a week ago against Idaho, Thomas was disappointed with his offense’s lack of production.

“We had what we wanted in terms of what (TCU) was doing on defense, I mean (Fairchild) called great plays and we just didn’t connect,” Thomas said. “On offense we played terrible today.”

TCU came out with a sense of determination in the second half and scored the first touchdown of the game on a five-play, 80-yard drive aided by a 47-yard run from sophomore running back Matthew Tucker.

Senior quarterback Andy Dalton finished the game 11-24 for 109 yards and one touchdown and added 67 yards rushing on 10 carries.

Sophomore Ed Wesley scored TCU’s two other touchdowns on 15 carries for 80 yards.
With a three-and-out on nearly every CSU drive, the Rams’ defense eventually wore down, too.

Senior linebacker Ricky Brewer said the Rams lost their physicality.

In the end, the Frogs’ advantages in speed and talent took over.

“All the credit in the world goes to TCU,” said CSU coach Steve Fairchild. “They are a very good football team and they deserved to win that game.”

CSU lost more than a game Saturday. They also lost starting running back Raymond Carter and long snapper Scott Albritton with knee injuries, which sidelined both players for the remainder of the game.

The coaching staff does not know how serious the injuries are, but Fairchild did say he thought Carter would be out at least a couple games.

Linebacker Mychal Sisson left the game with a knee injury as well, but returned and expects to be ready for next week’s game.

Football beat reporter Cris Tiller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

 Posted by at 4:08 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.