Community Briefs

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

City closures for Labor Day
Monday, in honor of Labor Day, all city offices and facilities will be closed.

However, the following will be open: Edora Pool Ice Center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Gardens on Spring Creek from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Mulberry Pool from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Northside Aztlan Community Center from 6 a.m. from 3 p.m. and the Senior Center from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Transfort will not provide bus service. Routes will resume regular hours Tuesday.

Fort Collins is safest driving city in U.S.
In the sixth Allstate Insurance Company America’s Best Drivers Report, Fort Collins received the top honor.

According to its report, drivers in Fort Collins will have an auto collision every 14.5 years, which is 31 percent less than the rest of the country.

“Once again, the people of Fort Collins have made me proud to live in this community,” said Fort Collins Mayor Doug Hutchinson. “Becoming America’s Safest Driving City takes quality roads and infrastructure. But more than anything else, it’s the result of individuals taking responsibility for keeping our streets safe.”

Campus bike paths to be closed today, Tuesday
Cyclists beware today and Tuesday, as the university will be closing the bike path along the West Lawn for landscaping.

The closure will run from the Vietnam Memorial Bridge to University Avenue. Today’s closure will be along the north/south bike path –– the bridge to University Avenue and Tuesday’s closure will be along the east/west walking path –– the bridge to the Lory Student Center.

For questions, contact Jon Feiman at 970-491-0159 or jonathan.feiman@colostate.edu.

Mama Roni’s Pizza to give out free pizza Monday after Showdown
Mama Roni’s, a local pizzeria, will supply hungry Ram-fans with free slices of pizza on Monday in support Rocky Mountain Showdown, as the Rams take on the CU-Boulder Buffaloes, hoping to take home a win for the second time in two years.

From noon to 5 p.m. at any Mama Roni’s location –– 1006 Spring Creek Lane and 4733 S. Timberline Road –– supporters can join the celebration.

The pizzeria will also host a raffle for game tickets, delivery for a month, Ram-gear and other prizes.

Eleven grass fires break out on Highway 287
Eleven separate grass fires temporarily closed Highway 287 Thursday until the Poudre Fire Authority was able to get the burns under control.

The grass fires broke out along the railroad tracks near Trilby Road and were lit by a van throwing off sparks due to mechanical difficulties, according to the PFA report.

The fires eventually merged into four larger fires that endangered houses and improvements such as fences for a short time, the report says, but crews were able to get the fires under control and prevent any damage.

— Collegian Staff Report