Jun 222010

Authors: Jason Berlinberg

In 1995, an animation studio named Pixar released its first feature length film, “Toy Story.” The movie depicted the adventurous lives and emotions of a group of toys who lived under the care of their owner, Andy.

Man, that was a pretty dumb premise for a movie, huh?

Fast forward 15 years to 2010. Pixar (now owned by Disney) is a giant in the movie industry and cranks out blockbusters on an annual basis. Its films consistently receive both viewer and critical acclaim, while touching the hearts of millions with endearing characters and unforgettable worlds.

Its most recent release, “Toy Story 3,” is no different. In the third and final film of the franchise, the toys are frustrated that Andy, who is now 17 and ready to head off to college, has been ignoring them for a long time. As is the fate of most unused items, they are either slated to be donated or locked in the attic for storage.

Through a strange turn of events, the gang ends up at Sunnyside Daycare, where they are no more than toddler fodder subject to hazardous playing and drool. Cue the clever escape plan.

This movie is absolutely beautiful, not only because of the wonderful animation that we’ve come to expect from Pixar but because every single aspect of the film works well together. The music, voice acting and animation all blend perfectly and result in an excellent product on screen.

Something else that Pixar is doing well in its recent movies is creating scenes with no dialogue and extracting immense amounts of emotion and feeling out of them. Think of the touching opening sequence in “Up” and the charming affection that permeates the majority of “WALL-E”. This technique appears in “Toy Story 3,” too, most notably at the bitter end.

At its core, this movie is a coming-of-age tale. While they had fun playing their way through the first two films of the trilogy, the toys ultimately understand the harsh reality that Andy has grown up. Viewers who grew up watching the other films will certainly be affected by this one, realizing that childhood cannot last forever. Although we do see late in the movie that everyone truly is a kid at heart.

In an age when the third movie in trilogies are notoriously bad, this movie maintains the excellent Pixar quality and is a fitting and logical end to the series. Although there may not be any more adventures with the gang of toys we’ve come to love, we can settle on the fact that we’ve had some really fun times hanging out with them.

Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at verve@collegian.com.