I discussed a few weeks ago, we as a nation need to try something extreme to turn ourselves from the path of violence.

The reasons: we have several ideologies at work. Half the country thinks the other half is living a fantasy and largely no one seems particularly happy.

The rules:

Divide the country into smaller sovereign governments and provide choices to citizens they currently lack.

Everyone will have the option to leave for a nation in line with their beliefs.

Each nation-state will have the option to choose whether to govern centrally or use another form of government.

My suggestions and likely outcomes follow:

West Coast states and Hawaii unite, dissolve their state governments and continue operating on their failed application of direct democracy. Liberals, hippies, progressives and Raiders, Chargers and Lakers fans in one place, this just feels right.

Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma form the Southwestern Republic of New Texahomazona. Sadly, the sheep and cattle still have no escape.
Dakotas and Minnesota become Freedonia. I have no clue who would want to live in Freedonia, but considering Minnesota has elected both Al Franken and Michelle Bachmann, who cares?

Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas combine into the Plains State Alliance. All four states would govern independently and the economy would be agriculture-based, obviously, their ideology would lean conservative.

Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Carolinas, Kentucky and Tennessee reform the Confederate States of America 150 years after disbanding.

The CSA would be conservative in ideology; the individual states would govern their citizens’ daily lives.

Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio establish the Great Lakes Democratic Union, sponsored by the unions of course; they could then determine how to revive their crumbling industrial economy without Fort Fumble: D.C.

Everything north and east of West Virginia forms the United States Socialist Republic. The USSR would provide the desired climate for those valuing equality of result over liberty and would govern from a central location: D.C.

Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Alaska are isolated in views and practices already; we are better off leaving them independent unless they choose otherwise.

Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Utah and Colorado become the Free States Alliance. They would have a Republican Democracy with unambiguous limits on central power. They would establish only a common defense and foreign relations as services provided by the FSA government.

What I’ve put together this week is fantasy. It won’t happen. It just won’t.

If liberals and progressives in power do not find a method of dialogue with the center and right, we will be staring the bloodiest conflict in American history dead in the eye, and it won’t matter who was wrong and who was right anymore.

It will only matter who wins and millions could die to determine the winner. Do you want that scenario again? I sure as hell don’t.

I suggest this division of the nation to let the people vote with their feet. Two coastal progressive/liberal/socialist options would exist for individuals to come together and ponder why the rich departed, leaving behind an increasingly destitute populace.

For agricultural folks seeking social conservatism, the PSA, CSA and NT would be there with arms wide open.

Those who want freedom above all else and to be left to their own devices, the FSA would gladly welcome those wired to liberty.

This is exactly the system of government the founders created. They wanted states to occupy the role of daily government and the federal government to provide for the combined states only that which the individual states could not. Could not, as opposed to would not.

When polarized politics reached the federal level, the battle was lost.

One can no longer escape an oppressive government within the union, this is not what our founders intended. So let’s try something new. You can have yours, they can have theirs and we can have ours. At least then, we have the opportunity to be happy with our system of government and if we’re not, we leave.

Note, I have not included methods of dealing with questions of trade, existing nuclear weapons, air space, common defense or supply routes for lack of content space. Use your imaginations.

Seth Stern is a senior journalism and sociology major. His column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Seth Stern is a co-plaintiff in a lawsuit filed by the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners association against the CSU System Board of Governors and CSU President Tony Frank. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.