Authors: Kyle Grabowski

CSU tennis fell 4-0 to top-seeded Utah in the Mountain West Championships in Las Vegas Thursday.

Despite cool temperatures, the Utes came out hot, asserting their dominance early by sweeping the doubles point, winning all three matches in straight sets.

Anastasia Putilina and Paige Miles came out on top against Laura Neal and Caitlin Fluegge by a score of 8-4 at the No. 1 doubles position.

CSU’s Tori Arneson and Lauren Mulhern then fell 8-3 against Erin Monson and Andrea Maughan, which eliminated the necessity of the No. 3 position match between Utah’s Evgenia Kryuchkova and Lisa Johnson and Melissa Holzinger and Veronika Wojakowska for the Rams.

Singles competition opened with a resounding straight set win by Utes senior Erin Monson over Fluegge. Arneson, a Utah native, also fell in straight sets to Kryuchkova at the No. 2 singles position.

Utah clinched the match when sophomore Lisa Johnson defeated CSU’s Lauren Mulhern at the No. 5 position. The first, fourth and sixth position matches went unfinished because the Rams couldn’t win the match even if they captured the three remaining points.

Utah improved to 17-6 on the season with the win and advanced to the semi-finals, where they will play the fifth-seeded San Diego State Aztecs.

The Rams enter the offseason losing three seniors to graduation, though Neal was the sole member of the trio participating in the conference tournament.

CSU finished the season at 8-15, with a 1-7 mark in conference play. The team opened the season well with a 3-1 start, but lost 13 of their next 17 regular season matches to finish as the eighth seed in the conference tournament.

Tennis Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reach at sports@collegian.com.