Senior day for Rams tennis

Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The Rams tennis team will take the court at home for the final time this season in a Border War showdown with Wyoming at 1 p.m. today.

Seniors Laura Neal, Kristen Stople and Rui Xu are playing their last regular season matches for CSU and will be honored during the match’s intermission. All three began their careers at CSU as freshman and will graduate this semester.

“When you see players get to their senior year, it’s always a milestone as a coach,” head coach Jon Messick said. “The most rewarding thing as a coach is to see the progress of player development, as people and as players. To realize they are getting a college degree and they are going out in the world to represent Colorado State, that is what it means.

“The tennis is important, but the bottom line is these kids are here to get a degree.”

The Rams finally snapped their longest losing streak of the season on Monday, defeating the UNC Bears 6-1.

“The best part of it is I think we got some confidence back and our level of play was better,” Messick said.

Sophomore Tori Arneson clinched the victory for CSU by downing Tiffany Knop in two sets. It was Arneson’s first victory since March 6 against Saint Louis.

This season Wyoming is 3-3 in MWC play, 12-7 overall, which is good enough for sixth in conference. The Cowgirls have dropped two of their last three matches, losing to Utah and UNLV on the road while defeating SDSU in San Diego.

“They are going to be an extremely tough opponent,” Messick said. “They have beaten some of the teams we have lost to in the conference and have shown they are a lot better this year. We feel we are playing well enough that we match up well against them, but it is going to be a tough fight.”

The match may move to Greeley if weather becomes a concern. The Rams practiced inside Thursday due to the rain and will be unable to play at Miramount South if the weather becomes sour again.

“It kind of makes the Senior Day a little less special, and we do like to play on our home court,” Messick said. “Depending on the weather, we may have to do that so we’ll just have to deal with it.”

Tennis Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.