Good wings for good cause

Authors: Sean Bucher

Whose wings will reign supreme? The answer to that burning question will be answered today as sorority Kappa Delta kicks off its first annual War of the Wings hot wing competition.

Old-Town Square will become the focal point of the event, which will pit local Fort Collins businesses against each other in conjunction with Kappa Delta to raise money for local and national charities.

“We liked the idea of involving local restaurants that people were familiar with,” says CSU junior and Kappa Delta member Jillian Hart. “They’re supporting us as we support them.”

All restaurants involved will give the Fort Collins community a taste of their prized buffalo wings, centered on an overall taste competition in which each restaurant will submit their hottest wings to a panel of judges.

“Wings will be judged on multiple criteria, including overall heat of course,” Hart said.

War of the Wings begins at 6 p.m. and continues through 9 p.m. with live music, by Hunter Reece and Andy Cruz, wing eating competitions every half-hour and booths from all participating restaurants, as well as radio station 99.9 The Point playing music.

Proceeds from the event will be split between Lutheran Family Services, Child Safe and Prevent Child Abuse.

“All Greeks have their national philanthropies. We wanted an event where Fort Collins residents felt comfortable attending with all members of the family,” said Kappa Delta President and senior Kate Short.

Participating businesses include Hooters, Crazy Jack’s Saloon, Woody’s Tavern, Washington’s Bar and Grille, Famous Dave’s and Pizza Casbah.

War of the Wings will take place east of College Avenue between Mountain Avenue and Walnut Street.

Tickets are $5 pre-sale and $7 at the event. People interested in learning more about the event or competing, War of the Wings can be found online at http://www.warofthewings.jimdo.com.

_Staff writer Sean Bucher can be reached at news@collegian.com. _