Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Less than a day after the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners associated filed a lawsuit against CSU’s concealed carry ban, the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled that a similar ban at CU-Boulder was unconstitutional.

“This only strengthens our case,” RMGO Director Dudley Brown said. “Honestly I don’t believe (CSU) has one leg to stand on.”

The CU ruling revives a lawsuit dismissed last spring by El Paso County District Judge G. David Miller, who said nothing in Colorado’s constitution stops CU from ordering the gun ban in 1994, according to a Boulder Daily Camera article.

And while the ruling does not mean people have the right to bring guns on campus immediately, it sends the case back to Miller in the lower courts, according to the same article.

Earlier this semester, the CSU System Board of Governors decided to implement a gun ban on the CSU-Fort Collins and CSU-Pueblo campuses. Both campuses were given time to draft a weapons-ban policy.

The ruling against CU raises questions about the BOG’s decision.

CSU was informed of the decision in the CU-lawsuit late this morning, said BOG spokesperson Michele McKinney in a statement from the university. The university’s General Counsel is reviewing the court case and decision and will provide legal advice to the BOG and CSU System campuses.

Weapons policies have not been implemented on CSU’s campuses, McKinney said in the statement. The board has given CSU-Fort Collins and CSU-Pueblo until August 1 to implement a policy, giving the system “some time to determine appropriate next steps,” she said in the statement.