Authors: Nic Turiciano

Faculty members from the University Center for the Arts will take a break from their normal scholarly duties tonight to sing dialogue from “Star Wars” set to the tune of “Jaws.”

The act is one of many being performed tonight at the Griffin Concert Hall as part of a fundraiser for the faculty and staff endowment fund created at the UCA. This will be the first fundraiser for the fund, which was created in response to shrinking resources due to the current economy.

“There have been efforts all over campus to start an endowment fund for programs. We are so short of money, generally, that if we do something privately we have that to use for our programs,” said artist in residence Barbara Thiem, who is managing tonight’s concert.

The fund was created as a component of the Campaign for Colorado State.

“While each of us would like to give lots of money to the program, that’s not really possible. But we can give our talents. And if our talents are worth something, we can charge and have the money go toward (the endowment fund),” said Todd Queen, chair of the Department of Music and Theatre and a performer in tonight’s concert.

The concert will feature conventional pieces like Broadway tunes and a composition by the artist in residence Suzanne Sorkin. Notable, though, are the unconventional pieces being performed in tonight’s show, like a men’s glee club being performed by members of the UCA staff.

“It’s a chance for the community and the students to see the faculty do things that we don’t do very often,” said Wes Kenny, director of Orchestra and a performer in tonight’s concert.

Admittance for music students is free. Tickets for the event are $40 non-music students, more expensive than many festivities held at the UCA, Queen said. But $28 of the ticket price is tax deductible.

The concert is a fresh spin on the conventional endowment fund and is targeted toward faculty members and CSU alumni, Queen said.
“We wanted to provide a more long term support system for our programs and our students knowing that budget times would be tough. This has the potential over years and years to really sustain us and to improve our programs. It’s a long term vision,” Queen said.

The concert starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the UCA Ticket Office in the UCA Griffin Lobby across College Ave. from campus, by phone at (970) 491-2787, or online at http://csuartstickets.universitytickets.com.

Entertainment writer Nic Turiciano can be reached at verve@collegian.com.