Authors: Sara Michael

It’s CSU Day, a statewide holiday meant celebrate the green and gold and spread the love with the entirety of Colorado.

In 2001, the Student Alumni Connection began an annual tradition of bringing a “Colorado State University Day” proposal to the governor to have him declare a day in April as a statewide holiday to celebrate CSU.

Although the event has in the past been held on April 18, that date didn’t fall on a weekday this year, so the date was adjusted to April 16.

“It’s a pride point,” said SAC president senior Kimberly Tennant. “Some schools rally behind athletics or academics; we rally behind our students, and this is our CSU.”

Today is the day to wear green and gold like it’s going out of style, and SAC will be on the plaza all day with free popcorn and prizes, said Tennant. The RAMdom Acts of Kindness crew will also be out and about, leaving gifts around campus.

“Last year we left things like CSU seat covers on cars in the parking lots. Just little things to increase school pride,” Tennant said.

Many local businesses are also participating. The Lory Student Center’s Taco Bell will be selling tacos for 49 cents, and in Old Town, Walrus Ice Cream and Dempsey’s Restaurant will be giving discounts to students.

“The really cool thing was that we got Bill Ritter to sign a proclamation to declare this a state holiday,” Tennant said. “It makes it a legit thing.”

The SAC will also provide butcher paper in the plaza as a flag for students to make, detailing the reasons why they love CSU.
Whether it’s because of the professors, the friends people have made, or the community, everyone has their reasons for loving the university, and Tennant added that giving the students their voice opens up a whole unknown background on the student population.

It’s fitting, too, she said, because today is also College Friday –– a statewide day celebrated by high schools and colleges alike to promote higher education.

“Education never stops,” said student government’s director of legislative affairs Matt Worthington. “Celebrating college at CSU demonstrates the dedication –– especially in Fort Collins –– to providing a high-quality education for the future.

College Friday is also about raising awareness to show how CSU impacts the community and how education impacts the future, Worthington added.

“It’s a great day to remember why you came to CSU and why you pay so much money to tuition to be here,” Tennant said.

Staff writer Sara Michael can be reached at news@collegian.com

• What to do: Wear any and all CSU Ram gear to show your school pride today
  • When and where: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: free popcorn on the Lory Student Center Plaza and freebies if you tell the Student Alumni Connection why you love CSU
  • Community discounts:
    Taco Bell in the LSC will offer 49 cent tacos
    Dempsey’s and Walrus Ice Cream in Old Town will offer “I Love CSU Day” discounts