Authors: David Martinez

This Saturday, up to 2,000 CSU students will wake up early and scatter around Fort Collins to perform community service projects for CSUnity, a one-day event when students clean up Fort Collins and showcase their Ram pride.

Students will mow lawns, collect cans for the Larimer County food bank, repair trails and perform other acts of service in the CSU community.

Jennifer Johnson, assistant director of Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement at CSU, said she expects the turnout this year to be “exponentially higher” than last year’s. Last April, a blizzard prevented many students from participating since many of the service projects were to be done outside.

Johnson also said that students will receive $5 cash for lunch at any location, a first in CSUnity’s 12 years running. In the past, volunteers would receive vouchers for lunch at the CSU dining halls.

“It’s really hard because we have so many people,” Johnson said, adding that the dining halls have typically struggled with the rush of people in the past.

CSUnity’s participant numbers have ballooned since its creation more than a decade ago. In 1998, the service day began with fewer than 200 students participating. Since then, the number of student participants has increased each year.

In addition, CSU alumni began participating in community service projects four years ago all across the country, and that won’t change this year.

Some will clean up beaches in San Diego, while others collect donations for the homeless in Houston or restock cans and boxes at a Seattle food bank.

Staff Writer David Martinez can be reached at news@collegian.com.