Authors: Anna Baldwin

Northern Colorado artists will spend a lot of time Saturday at the Poudre River Arts Center. To be exact, 12 hours.
The event: the Colorado Coalition of Artists’ 6th Annual, 12-hour fundraising Artathon, Saturday.

Community members will sponsor these artists as they volunteer their time to create art for 12 nonstop hours, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The artists are sponsored with by-the-hour contributions or through a flat donation.

“The people that come will get to watch art being created right in front of their eyes,” said Peggy Quinn, a CoCOA board member and artist participating in the event.

Approximately eight to 10 artists will participate, each painting a work of art, Quinn said.

Two differences from last year’s Artathon are the community art show and the board member art show, which will be on display in conjunction with the Artathon.

About 20 total pieces from the two shows will be on display and for sale throughout the day.

The art in both shows include paintings as well as mixed media pieces, like collages and fiber pieces, Quinn said. Twenty-five percent of the proceeds from the shows go to CoCOA, with the remainder going right back to the artists.

The event is just one that helps the coalition’s goal of unifying artists in the community and provides a common meeting ground where artistic products are worked on, displayed and sold.

“CoCOA is always looking for new artist members,” Quinn said, adding that the group has about 200 members. “This is a really fun event, and this year we’re expecting an even greater turnout than last year. It’s great because it’s local artists mingling with community members.”

The event is free and open to the public. Free sandwiches and drinks will be served as refreshments beginning at noon, as well as a live band, Quinn said.

Staff writer Anna Baldwin can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

• What: The Colorado Coalition of Artists’ 6th Annual, 12-hour Artathon
  • When: Saturday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Where: The Poudre River Arts Center
  • About the event: Eight to ten artists will volunteer time to create art for 12 hours nonstop
  • Sponsorship: By the hour contributions or flat donations