Authors: Jordyn Dahl

Imagine life in a society that didn’t support a free press.

Who would act as the watchdogs over government? Where would people go for credible, objective information?
Tonight, the Society of Professional Journalists, SPJ, at CSU is hosting a journalism event, “Freedom of Speech –– Where would we be without journalism?” that will seek to answer these questions.

The event, which will take place in the University Club on the top floor of the Lory Student Center from 4 to 7 p.m., hopes to promote journalism and raise awareness for what reporting brings to our society despite current economic setbacks.

“For years now, journalists and newspapers have been taking a series of beatings in terms of resources and support,” said Holly Wolcott, news adviser for the Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation.

“This event is an attempt to highlight the importance of daily journalism and get people to renew their commitments to buying it, reading it and engaging in it,” she said.

Kevin Vaughan, an investigative reporter for the Denver Post, is the keynote speaker. Colorado’s SPJ Pro President Noelle Leavitt, as well as CSU members of SPJ, are also scheduled to speak. Vaughan will take questions from the audience from 6 to 7 p.m.

Staff writer Jordyn Dahl can be reached at news@collegian.com.

• Put on by the Society of Professional Journalists, CSU Chapter
  • 4 to 5 p.m.: Reception, exhibit viewing and silent auction
  • 5 to 6 p.m.: Video showing, followed by brief speeches from SPJ@CSU Secretary Madeline Novey, Colorado SPJ President Noelle Leavitt and The Denver Post’s Kevin Vaughan
  • 6 to 7 p.m.: Q & A with Vaughan, silent auction winners announced, celebratory cake
  • The event is free and open to the public