Letters To The Editor

Authors: Reuben Addo, Drew Winter

Privatization part of the answer

Anyone from a developing country will agree with me that access to good drinking water is a challenge for many people. The solution is not as black and white as Mr. McManus saw it in his column titled, “Water privatization is globally inequitable.”

Neither absolute government control nor total private control is the solution to the world’s water crisis. Governments in developing countries cannot meet the exponential demand for water because they lack the resources. Neither can the corporations, driven by their thirst for profit, be fully trusted with the treatment and distribution of water. The solution to the scarcity of water in developing countries is a public/private partnership.

Years of governments’ control of the treatment and distribution of water, in the global south as you call it, have not improved water delivery. Pipes constructed during the colonial era are still being used.

Only a few people in urban areas have access to good drinking water. Poor people –– mostly women –– still walk hundreds of miles at the peril of their lives in search of water. Should we depend on the failed promises of governments while children die of infectious diseases because they lack water for basic hygienic needs? Or should big corporations get involved to increase access and quality of water?

Privatization is much needed, just as governments’ involvement is needed. While you may have some valid points, you’re too quick to condemn privatization of water, which, if used in proper balance with government aid, could greatly assist in solving the world’s water crisis.

Reuben Addo
Senior, social work major

Scherer column misinterpreted PETA message

For a post-April Fools’ Day column, Robyn Scherer sure doesn’t have a sense of humor, as shown by her column, “The price is right, but the organization is wrong.”

Although her rebuttal to Ben & Jerry’s ice cream’s use of human breast milk was spot on –– “If women started selling their breast milk to Ben & Jerry’s, how will they feed their child?” ­­–– I can’t help but suspect that she took PETA’s suggestion a little bit too literally.

PETA’s letter was a reminder that milk only comes from mothers and that mothers need to have children in order to produce milk. To fulfill this demand, each year 41 million cows are forcibly impregnated and give birth to calves that are taken from them just hours after birth in order to become veal calves.

It’s common knowledge among dairy farmers that the mothers will look and moo for their calves for days or weeks afterward. After repeatedly undergoing the stress of pregnancy and excessive milking, cows used for milk are killed for their meat.

Dispelling the myths propagated by the livestock industry about idyllic pastures where “happy cows” live long, carefree lives — an industry that Scherer, an animal science major, has a vested interest in protecting — is the goal of PETA’s campaigns.

Unfortunately, most media outlets are unwilling to publicize the plight of exploited animals for fear that the exploiters will cancel lucrative advertising contracts. We’d like nothing better than to secure serious media coverage of factory farms, fur farms, animals in laboratories and other forms of animal abuse. Unfortunately, though, we usually have to throw in a gimmick to get these issues in the news and reported nationwide.

PETA will continue its decades-old tradition of peaceful, lawful activism as long as animals are treated like objects rather than individuals who have the capacity to feel pain, love, joy and fear. To learn more about the truth behind animal exploitation, visit GoVeg.com.

Drew Winter
College Campaigns
Assistant, peta2