Authors: Josh Phillips, Ian Bezek

Student government elections are here again, which means it’s time to peruse the platforms and determine which pair of students is the least ridiculous.

Cooper and Jennifer have offered to rid campus of those tiring 7 a.m. finals, but that’s an overused platform that has never come to fruition. They also want to increase the number of cars that RamRide uses, which will possibly increase the amount of student fees.

And they want to light up the “A” over Hughes Stadium.

The only serious aspects of their campaign are an enhanced sexual assault education program and “working with Colorado lawmakers to solve the higher education funding crisis.” But these stances are so broad that I cannot bring myself to appreciate them fully.

Dave and April had a similar questionable view on RamRide. They wanted to develop an online suggestion box that allows students to discuss instructors and the Associated Students of CSU. Last I checked, RamRatings.com was still going strong.

They also wanted to allow for free “emergency” printing, but I think it would be more effective to campaign for the reopening of the CTSS Lab’s free printing.

Jack and Darrie, however, are concerned with concealed carry and getting a student vote on the Board of Governors. They have a focus on “experiential learning,” which gets students out of the classroom and into their respective fields to gain real-world experience.

In my business capstone course, we talk about “removing content from its container” to become first movers in an innovative process. Jack and Darrie seem to understand this concept, and their desire to remove learning from its dull classroom container shows it.
_
Josh Phillips is a senior business administration major. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com._

Of the four student government elections I have witnessed here at CSU, this has been the hardest in which to determine for whom to cast my vote.

I was very impressed when I met Jack and Darrie, but I was left with lingering questions as to their level of experience with the Associated Students of CSU. I appreciate outsiders, but some level of institutional knowledge is necessary to be good leaders.

Also, some of their ideas sound good but need to be more fleshed out; while experiential learning is a great idea, I think they need to do a lot more work to turn this nugget of an idea into a reality at CSU.

After our Editorial Board meeting with Dave and April, I felt confident that a vote for them would bring good governance. They had the experience, ideas and vision needed to make CSU a better place.

Sadly, their campaign has run into procedural issues. But Dave and April appear to have been unfairly kicked out of the race by a biased Election Committee.

I hope the ASCSU Supreme Court, which is ruling on an appeal from Dave and April today, will rule in their favor. This may allow them to re-enter the campaign, in which case I’d lean toward voting for them.

Should the Supreme Court rule against Dave and April, I will probably cast my vote for Jack and Darrie. While they don’t have a ton of experience, they are nice people who do genuinely care about students and listen to our voices.

Cooper and Jennifer, on the other hand, have run a cliquish, standoffish and uninspired campaign. Instead of coming up with good ideas –– lighting the “A,” really, that’s the best you could do? –– they’ve slung mud and are unworthy of our votes.

Editorials Editor Ian Bezek is a senior economics major. His column appears Mondays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.