Rammin’ the Buffs

Authors: Stephen Meyers

The numbers “11-4” were written on the white board in the Colorado State locker room at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park Saturday.

That was the final score of last year’s Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Showdown ­­–– CSU’s first loss in the series against bitter-rival CU-Boulder.

Avenging last year’s loss, the Rams trounced CU-Boulder 13-6 Saturday, bringing the all-time series record to 6-1.

“Losing last year 11-4; that was hard to take,” said team captain Cooper Kehoe. “This game has been in the back of our minds all season, so winning tonight is awesome.”

With emotions high, CSU (11-0) jumped out quickly with a Greyson Konkel goal one minute into the game and Garret Fugier added another minutes later, giving the Rams the early 2-0 lead.

The Buffs (2-5) never recovered.

Using a balanced offensive attack and stingy team defense, the Rams built a 7-2 lead at the beginning of the third quarter and the rout was on.

Nine players scored for the Rams, including four with two goals apiece: Konkel, Fugier, Kehoe and Paul Larson.

“Our attack is so well-rounded. Austin Fisher and Paul Larson are great players, and they just take the load off of everybody when we have three great attack men,” Kehoe said.

Head coach Alex Smith said that the real key to the game’s success was the play of goalie Alex Jacques.

“That’s probably the best Alex played all year,” Smith said. “He made a lot of saves that really gave us some momentum. It was pretty easy to hand out the game ball today.”

A veteran of three Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Showdowns, Jacques didn’t let the atmosphere of Dick’s Sporting Goods Park get to him.

“I’ve seen the game a little bit. I’ve gotten the jitters out a little more, and I kind of knew what to expect,” Jacques said. “They kind of told me to just have fun and play my game.”

CSU enjoyed playing the Showdown for the first time at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. About 1,000 fans braved the strong winds and cold to cheer on the Rams.

“The facilities are great, the field is great, the crowd was great; it’s really a cool event for our guys,” Smith said.

Ranked first in the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Conference (RMLC) and second overall in the Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association (MCLA), CSU is vying for its fifth national title and Dick’s Sporting Goods Park is this year’s site for the MCLA championship – a place Smith wants to see his team.

“With the win today, we have some motivation to work hard and try to earn our way back here,” Smith said.

Sports Reporter Stephen Meyers can be reached at sports@collegian.com.