Authors: Justyna Tomtas

At its fundraiser Saturday night, the Campus Feminist Alliance brought in just more than $250 for its largest event: Take Back the Night.

Organization leaders were excited by the amount of money going to the 19th annual Take Back the Night, an internationally recognized march and speak out that aims to increase awareness of sexual violence and advocates for its end.

The fundraiser, which took place in the Art Lab in Old Town, featured performances by local artists: Rad Vibes, Origami Hands and Thundersmile.

Teresa Sosa, a member of Origami Hands, said she and her band mates were happy to support the Campus Feminist Alliance’s effort through their art.

“It’s really important to us as women. We want to be able to use our music for positive things,” Sosa said.

About 50 students and community members filled the Art Lab throughout the night and many participated in a raffle for merchandise donated by the local roller derby team Choice City Rebels.

A bake sale accompanied 20 pizzas donated by Mama Roni’s Pizza to the Campus Feminist Alliance. Café Ardour donated coffee for the event.

Doug Popp, an event volunteer, said that is was important to lend a helping hand at the fundraiser to ensure the survival and success of Take Back the Night.

“This event (Take Back the Night) has been going on for years, and it’s a good tradition with a positive message,” Popp said.

Happy with the overall outcome of the occasion, Campus Feminist Alliance President Lara Adamson said, “I’m really excited that everyone came out, everyone came out for a different reason. I’m glad we had a good mix of people.”

Staff writer Justyna Tomtas can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Upcoming events to benefit Take Back the Night:

April 7 – 7 p.m. Odell’s Fundraiser – $10 for food and drinks

April 13 – 7 p.m. at the Alley Cat – Film Night Fun – “Don’t Need You: A Herstory of Riot Grrrl”

April 27 – 7 p.m. at CSU – An evening with zinester/artist/activist Cristy Road and musician/activist Sonia – location TBA

April 29 – 6 p.m. CSU Sculpture Garden – Take Back the Night – speak out and march against violence and sexual assault