Authors: Sara Michael

Out of 1,558 entries, The Rocky Mountain Collegian was one of 7 college newspapers to be selected for the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s Collegiate Crown Award for 2008 season.

The Collegian won the CSPA’s Silver Crown award for its fall of 2008 work.

“That semester was very strong for us,” Collegian Editor-in-Chief Virginia Singarayar said in an e-mail. Among the articles submitted were pieces investigating the 2008 university administration and budget, she said, as well as election coverage and the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver.

“We are highly competitive and try our best to stand out against other school publications, so it’s nice to be recognized,” Singarayar said.

Presented by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, the Collegiate Crown award is given annually to student print media, including magazines, newspapers, yearbooks and online publications, for “overall excellence.”

“It certainly is an honor and a privilege. Students should be proud of this accomplishment,” said Larry Steward, president of the Collegian’s parent company the Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation. As he has been a part of the company for more 20 years, Steward said this is the fourth or fifth time he has seen the Collegian finish with a CSPA award.

Among the other finalists are the Indiana Daily Student, The Daily Texan, Southwestern College Sun, The Daily Collegian, The Daily Pennsylvanian and The Oklahoma Daily.

The Gold Crown Awards were created in 1982 , and the Silver Crowns were added in 1984.

Staff Writer Sara Michael can be reached at news@collegian.com.