Authors: Cris Tiller

LOVELAND – CSU men’s lacrosse gave yet another team a thrashing, beating Utah State 17-5 on Saturday.

The win improves their record to 10-0 and creates even more momentum into the final stretch of the season, which includes a showdown with CU-Boulder April 3 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in Denver.

Utah State was not expected to give the Rams much difficulty, being heavily outweighed on paper and the result backed that up even further.

“They’re actually a better team than I’ve seen them in years,” senior goalie Alex Jacques said. “We’re still a little stronger than them, but they kept their top guys in so we definitely had to work hard on it.”

Young players got to see quality playing time as a product of the easy victory, making the depth on the team that much better.

Rams head coach Alex Smith was most impressed with the play of his young defense.

“Not one person on the team scored all of our points. It was spread around,” Smith said. “Our freshmen defenders could easily start here (soon), so it was good to get them some time.”

Older players like captain Cooper Kehoe were also pleased with the production the team got out of its less experienced players.

“I was really impressed by them,” Kehoe said. “A few of our guys we needed to step up really stepped up and contributed by scoring some points, which was good to see.”

The game had been scheduled to be played on campus, but the recent snow created problems for the field and the location was switched to Loveland for the second game in a row.

Kehoe and the rest of the team were looking forward to what would have been only the second true on-campus home game of the season.

“It would have been nice to play on campus,” Kehoe said. “Just to get a little more support from the school and get the crowd out there, so it was a little disappointing.”

However, the team seemed grateful to have an alternate field to play on in circumstances such as this.

“Loveland is actually a pretty field,” Jacques said. “It’s a little annoying driving there every day, but it’s definitely good turf.”

While unfortunate, the team does not let the lack of actual home games get them down because moving games to Loveland is something of a norm now.

“To be quite honest, we are used to it,” Kehoe said. “We just roll with the punches and whatever comes our way, no one is really upset.”

The damage was not only felt in the disappointment of missing out on another home game, but more importantly a chance to promote the game with CU-Boulder the following week to those people who are not aware of CSU lacrosse.

“I think we have a pretty good group of people who will follow us,” Smith said. “It’s got to hurt a little bit, though. We’re going to have to get out there this week and spread the word.”

Club Sports Beat Reporter Cris Tiller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.