Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

*Editor’s Note: This is the first of a three-part series examining the quarterback contenders to start for the Rams in 2010. The final two parts will run Wednesday and Friday.

While many questions remain to be answered during the Rams’ spring football season, one seems to have taken center stage: who will be the Rams’ next quarterback?

CSU is three practices into the 15 of the spring season schedule and already well into the process of finding a new starter under center.

Currently atop CSU’s depth chart for quarterback are junior T.J. Borcky and senior Jon Eastman. So far, Borcky has been given the majority of reps while Eastman has had a noticeably quiet role in practice.

Borcky has played multiple parts on the field during his time at CSU, coming to the Rams as a quarterback, then moving to wide receiver midway through his freshman year. Near the end of the 2009 season, head coach Steve Fairchild said the Florida native would be moving back to quarterback during the spring to compete for an open spot.

Borcky said that his time at wide receiver will ultimately make him a better signal caller.

“Playing receiver helped me a lot,” Borcky said. “Being a receiver last year and then coming back to quarterback this year, I learned a lot. Learning how to run the routes and the coverages helped me a lot. All around, I learned a lot more and matured during the off season.”

Fairchild said he could see how Borcky’s time at receiver could be beneficial but said it wouldn’t give him a leg up in the quarterback competition.

“I don’t know if it’s an advantage, but he’s played some and he’s a little more knowledgeable about what we are doing offensively than the other guys,” the third-year head coach said.

Borcky ranks as one of the more athletic quarterbacks on the Rams’ roster, combining a 6-foot-4, 200-pound frame with impressive speed and arm strength.

Even though Borcky is in the middle of a four-week audition, he said he’s not thinking of it as a competition.

“It’s good to have an opportunity, but I don’t look at that stuff,” he said. “No matter if I’m one or six (on the depth chart), we’re all going to work just as hard, and we’re all going to compete.”

Eastman enters the spring as the most experienced of the current Rams quarterbacks. After backing starter Grant Stucker for the majority of the 2009 season, the junior college transfer saw more playing time late in the year. Eastman started the for CSU in their final game of the season, passing for 185 yards, one touchdown and an interception against Wyoming.

Fairchild said that even with a start for the Rams under his belt, Eastman still doesn’t have enough experience to gain an advantage in this competition.

“It’s a little bit (of an advantage), but Jon (Eastman) hasn’t played much,” Fairchild said. “We’re kind of in the same boat like last year with Grant Stucker. We’re inexperienced at quarterback, there is no question.”

CSU has started a senior quarterback with limited experience the past two seasons, a trend that would continue this season if Eastman wins the job.

Eastman appeared visibly discouraged about his lack of reps early in spring drills and said his experience wasn’t much of a factor right now. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder added that he wants to play.

“I don’t really want to comment on my feelings or anything like that,” Eastman said. “All I know is that I’m not getting any reps, I don’t know why. I’d like to be playing, obviously. Practices aren’t too fun right now sitting on the sideline. I obviously want to play.”

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.