Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It’s taken us almost a week to get around to the health care bill because, as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi put it, they needed to pass it so we could find out what’s in it.

Now, a few days later, we’ve got a much better idea of just how the bill –– passed only by some last minute compromises and backroom deals –– will affect students and the rest of the country. Our reaction is as follows:

Meh.

It’s clear that the bill, pushed so hard by President Barack Obama, Pelosi and the Democrats, is one of the most historic pieces of health care legislation ever passed in the United States. It’s also clear the bill is a fragment of what it should have been.

On one hand, the bill promises to include many Americans currently unable to get health coverage, end discrimination due to preexisting conditions and helps us college students stay covered by our parents’ plan –– some of the most egregious problems with the old system.

But it’s one step forward and two steps back.

The bill bolsters the same insurance and drug companies that are responsible for driving up health care costs and seeking high profit margins at the expense of lives with billions of dollars in government subsidies.

It contains no real solutions for controlling ballooning medical costs and forcing every American to buy overpriced insurance plans is wrong.
Health care reform is something America desperately needs and this bill is not that reform.

At least we can hope now that the bill passed that Rush Limbaugh makes good on his promise and moves to Costa Rica.