Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Since the overhaul of student government’s safe ride dispatch system, wait times have decreased and nightly ridership has gone up by an average of 11 a night.

Last semester, students looking to use RamRide would wait an average of 101 minutes but the average for the spring is 30 minutes less, said the program’s director Eric Berlinberg.

When Berlinberg took the helm in September, he promised new technology for the program, to improve the nightly efficiency and to construct a long-term game plan.

Each of these goals has been accomplished, he said, explaining that his department is fully staffed, has seen a decrease in cancellations and is in good standing with the university considering the risk of the program.

Part of reaching those goals included an $8,000 system upgrade, which replaced the original technology purchased when RamRide was created in 2003 and was funded by a surplus in money after officials from the Associated Students of CSU worked a money-saving deal with CSU Motor Pool last fall.
But two students said they haven’t seen much of a difference since last semester.

Carly Chapple, a sophomore restaurant and resort management major, said that while it might be better than last semester, when she called on a Friday at 11 p.m. for a ride she waited two hours before being picked up.

Around 1:30 a.m. when the Fort Collins bars are closing, senior natural resources and tourism major Kevin Main said RamRide is at it’s busiest and the wait times are similar to last semester.

Berlinberg is in talks with student affairs groups and stakeholders to see “where RamRide fits” at CSU because the program is getting so large.
“Back when it was founded, the intent was never for RamRide to stay within ASCSU,” he said.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.