Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

One down, 14 to go.

The CSU Rams completed their first spring practice of the season Thursday afternoon, working for nearly two and a half hours on a freshly plowed practice field directly south of Moby Arena.

Rams head coach Steve Fairchild said he was generally pleased with the practice, but admitted there was clearly some rust that needed to be shaken off.

“Every first practice you have to work some kinks out,” the third year CSU head coach said. “I thought we bounced around good. I liked the pace. It was probably as long of a practice we’ve had in the spring since I’ve been here in terms of reps.”

During the no pads practice, the Rams split time between position drills and full team scrimmages. Junior T.J. Borcky took the majority of reps at quarterback, but shared time with freshmen Nico Ranieri and Pete Thomas.

Borcky said that no one, himself included, was as crisp as desired, but added he wasn’t worried about it.

“We weren’t as clean as we needed to be,” Borcky, a former wide receiver, said. “If we all come out and everyone gets back to studying, we should be OK. The first day is always rough.”

Although he acknowledged much more work needs to be done, linebacker Mychal Sisson was pleased with the defense’s production Thursday. The junior explained that having so many returning starters is a huge advantage during spring practices.

“This is basically the best practice we’ve had just starting off,” Sisson said. “We have so many guys coming back and that know what’s going on. A lot of people already know the defense so we don’t have to re-teach everybody.”

The Rams are expected to have several position battles going on this spring including competitions at running back, wide receiver and quarterback. Even with so many unanswered questions floating around CSU, Fairchild said he’s not ready to start making any big decisions.

“Now is not the time to figure out who’s doing what in terms of the depth chart,” he said. “Now is the time to find out, as a group, are we playing hard, are we playing smart and are we getting the most out of every rep? I think the individual battles will take care of themselves.”
The Rams next practice is scheduled for Saturday afternoon.

Rams freshman quarterback Pete Thomas found an early favorite target with wide receiver Jyrone Hickman several times during team scrimmages. Both players currently wear the No. 4 jersey.

Stay tuned to CollegianSports.com for complete spring football coverage.

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.