Remembering those lost

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

During spring break, four lives were cut short, leaving gaping holes in the hearts of many, including that of the CSU community.

On March 12, Mark Kriebel was hit and killed by a southbound train on the tracks on campus near the Oval. Kriebel, a 52-year-old Fort Collins resident, had attended CSU off and on between 1985 and 2007, earning two master’s degrees in mathematics and physics.

On March 13, CSU sophomore Katelyn Henning, 20, and her boyfriend Damon Johnson, 19, were killed in a car accident while driving through Kingman, Ariz.

Friends described Henning, a business major, as an avid sports fan who dreamed of going into sports management. And Johnson, who had planned to attend Front Range and transfer to CSU thereafter, wanted nothing more than to be a Ram.

The next day, CSU freshman Larissa Hartman died in a car accident while driving through a storm on Highway 285, near Fairplay.

Shy and sweet, friends said the health and exercise major was one of the nicest people they had ever known, and she would be missed.
It is with great sadness that we offer our condolences to all those who knew these four people, full of life and ambition, spirit and youth.

In their absence, their classmates and friends will not be the same. Their family will not be the same. The CSU community will not be the same.

Remember that life, though full of adventure and mystery, is also cruel and unyielding. Appreciate all that you have and the people in your life.

Live, love and remember, CSU.