Authors: Kirsten Silveira

*Editor’s Note: Check the Collegian this week for stories about each of three teams campaigning for student government president and vice president.

Three teams will start campaigning today at 8 a.m. for student government’s presidential elections in early April.

The contenders, which Associated Students of CSU Elections Manager Kevin Robinson said are final unless another team enters into the race, are:

*President: Cooper Anderson, vice president: Jennifer Babos
*President: Dave Ambrose, vice president: April Ragland
*President: Jack Becker, vice president: Darrie Burrage

All except vice presidential candidate and junior communication studies major Burrage are currently involved with ASCSU.

To learn more about the candidate’s platforms students can attend two presidential debates: one on March 26 at 11:30 a.m. on the Lory Student Center Plaza and the other on March 31 at 7 p.m. in the LSC Theater.

ASCSU is looking to fill 37 Senate seats. Only 17 candidates have announced campaigns; potential senators have a $200 spending limit.

Five colleges ­­–– Intra-University, College of Applied Human Sciences, Warner College of Natural Resources, Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and the Graduate School ––announced no candidates.

Senator positions are distributed to colleges based on enrollment numbers and each seat represents roughly 750 students, Robinson said.

Voting will take place on RamWeb April 5 through April 7. Results will be announced at 8 p.m. in the ASCSU Senate Chambers in the LSC and live on CTV Channel 11.

Teams can be penalized for engaging in any slander or libel against opponents, Robinson said. The degree of punishment for committing either offense is decided by a nine-person committee overseen by Robinson and can range from a warning to a suspension or fine.

In an effort to “increase accountability,” tickets have three days to pay the fine charged by the committee. The amount of the fine, Robinson said, comes directly out of the campaign team’s $2,000 budget.

Suspensions are rarely given unless a state or local law is broken. If two suspensions are issued, the team will be stricken from the ballot, he said.

Running teams will also be responsible for submitting spending reports, which include any donations they receive, twice a week to ASCSU’s Elections Committee. If any campaign exceeds the $2,000 limit, it will be “automatically kicked out of the race,” Robinson said.

S_enior Reporter Kirsten Silveira at news@collegian.com_.