Authors: Michael Kalush, Madeline Novey

Out at the local bars, it’s safe to assume that people are looking for their calories in liquid form. But just because that Fat Tire is filling the void –– in your stomach or otherwise –– doesn’t mean you can’t save room for all the foods the bar’s kitchen has to offer.

This week we’re giving you a taste of our favorite bar foods: cheese platters, olives and a range of fried, greasy goodness.

Maybe, just maybe, you’ll follow our advice and soak up all that copious amounts of alcohol with carb and cheese-loaded goodies.

C.B. & Potts
Restaurant and
Brewery

Family owned and operated since 1971, C.B. & Potts on Elizabeth Street is a fun and casual place to hang out with friends to eat, drink $1 beers and play bingo or pool.

Dark wooden bar stools and high tables sit bathed in warm lighting, which is overseen by a 10-foot great white shark hanging from the ceiling and posters highlighting CSU’s athletic past on the wall.

But enough about the décor, what we’re here to talk about Potts’ newest creation (well, one of several): pulled pork potato skins.

Six potato slices serve as vehicles for cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, and pulled pork drizzled with Baby Rays BBQ Sauce and red onions for $7.49. While there’s enough to share, you won’t want to.

Visit CBPotts.com and navigate to the Fort Collins page to see the full menu and Potts’ new specials as part of Burger Rama.

Café Vino

Though we’ve written about the café before, Vino made our top-picks for bar food in Fort Collins for its more healthy and simplistic appetizers.

Designed to fit the restaurant’s motto –– it’s all about sharing good food with good friends –– Café Vino’s Artisan Cheese Platter is the perfect compliment to one of the 20 world beers on draft or 150 wines available in the walk-in cellar.

Made with seasonally available items, the platter currently boasts dry-aged, pepper infused Monterey Jack, Piave, lemon Stilton, smokey blue and Drunken Goat (soaked in red wine) cheeses, dried Angelino plums and roasted almonds (small $9, large $15).
Visit CafeVino.com to see the full menu.

Stuft: a burger bar

Formerly occupied by Elliot’s Mess, Stuft: a burger bar was built for Fort Collins, for CSU students, said restaurant co-owner Jack Fitzsimmons.

During our visit, his business partner, Tiffany Pellin, sat down next to him on a tall, dark stool near the bar.

“What are they having?” she asked. The hamburger sliders, a dozen, Fitzsimmons said.
“I’ll go check on them,” Pellin said, walking past three of Andy Warhol’s prints –– they’re of cows, fitting for the burger joint –– back to the kitchen.

The 2-inch-by-2-inch burgers with pimento olives staked through the heart are a remnant of lasting sandwich shop habits.

Normally $6.99 for three sliders, Stuft sells them for $1 a piece with the purchase of any drink –– chocolate milk counts –– during Happy Hour from 3 to 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. to close.

Diners can also build their own burger, starting with either a beef, chicken, grilled Mahi, portabello or buffalo patty, then topping that with dozens of toppings from roasted red peppers to fried eggs at $0.49 a piece.

The restaurant is open Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Steakout Saloon

Steakout Saloon in Old Town isn’t normally the first place that pops into the head when you’re thinking about food spots in Fort Collins. That spot in the mind is usually reserved for when you’re thinking of a good spot for beer.

But after downing a few of their nearly 22 beers on tap, you’ll usually be craving something salty, maybe fried. And how about something spicy?

For $6.25, patrons can enjoy fried jalapeños, also known as “bottlecaps”. You get salty, fried and spicy all in one tasty appetizer.

Jalapeños are vegetables, right?

Photographer Michael Kalush and News Managing Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at verve@collegian.com.