Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Games don’t get much bigger than this for the CSU Rams men’s basketball team.
The Rams (15-14, 6-9 MWC) should have little trouble getting up for their showdown with the Utah Utes (14-15, 7-8) Saturday in Moby Arena.

Not only is CSU playing for the fifth seed in the upcoming conference tournament and a winning regular season record, but also trying to stop a five-game losing skid. To top it all off, Saturday marks senior day.

Travis Busch, a senior, said that he’s trying to focus on the importance of Saturday’s game to the whole team, not the fact that it will be his last in Moby Arena.

“Personally, you want to go out on the right foot (in your) last game at Moby,” the forward said. “It’s senior day and all that stuff, but that needs to go on the backburner because that’s not the most important part of this game. We have to get the win, so I can’t let my emotions get the best of me.”

Rams head coach Tim Miles agreed about the weight of Saturday’s regular season finale and said everything is now a one-game season.

“Our kids have worked hard, despite this recent slide, to put themselves in a unique position,” he said. “I’m not sure the last time CSU played a game where there was this much on the line. It’s a big, big game, and I think our guys are excited about that.”

With a win, CSU will clinch a fifth seed going into the MWC Championships, a spot that will likely pit them against UNLV in the opening round. With a loss Saturday, the Rams would likely have to face SDSU.

Utah enters the contest coming off a hard fought loss to BYU but winners in two of their last three. With a win Saturday, the Utes would clinch the No. 5 spot in the MWC tournament, one spot above CSU.

The Rams prevailed in their first meeting with Utah this season, pulling out a 65-50 win in Salt Lake City. CSU senior Harvey Perry said he expects a tougher game this time around.

“I know they are a tough-nosed team,” the guard said. “I’m pretty sure they have our personnel down, and it’s going to be a battle for the seniors and the rest of the team.”

Even with so much on the line Saturday, Miles will use senior day to give his team even more motivation.

“It’s important to coaches and underclassmen to send them (the seniors) out on a good note and on an exciting note. Those guys will always remember their last game at Moby.”
Tip off for Saturday’s game is set for 1:30 p.m.

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.