Authors: Ian Bezek, Josh Phillips

HB 1206 will force Bog to listen
By Josh Phillips

Like many students, I am rooting for the adoption of House Bill 1206, which would give CSU students voting rights on the CSU System Board of Governors.

While only two votes on the BOG may not be enough to make an impact on decisions, at least the student voice can be quantified and put on the record. Our dissension will be made tangible.

This bill comes at a remarkably opportune time, since the BOG has recently lost its capacity to represent its constituents accurately. Students heavily contested the system-wide gun ban, but the BOG implemented it anyway, making a clear statement that it has no intention of taking the student voice into consideration.

If HB 1206 passes, they will have no choice but to listen. Students will have the opportunity to make their case in front of the BOG and serve more than a mere advisory position.

Students will also be able to offer more input and raise concerns that the BOG may originally have opted to ignore. Some suggest this could create a conflict of interest, since students will be voting on issues related to tuition and fees. I would argue that students have a right to vote on issues that determine the collecting and spending of their own money.

After all, we have no say when the bureaucrats decide to erect a new building. Voting on monetary issues may indirectly make a statement about the construction of new structures on campus. If we don’t want to convert another pitch of grass into a concrete jungle, we can vote against raising student fees.

While two students will suffer the curse of the dummy voter if the remaining BOG votes against them, the prospect of having representation is a step in the right direction if we ever hope to have these faceless politicians act on behalf of the student body.

_Josh Phillips is a senior business administration major. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com. _

HB 1206 merely a trivial victory
By Ian Bezek

The addition of two students to the CSU System Board of Governors is a long overdue move that will finally give students at least a small voice in the BOG when it comes to crafting the university’s policies.

But, the timing of this move is more than a little troubling. It feels like this is the dummy prize that we get instead of getting actual representation in the running of the school.

The BOG’s clear and utter lack of interest in student opinion regarding many of their decisions, as recently shown with the concealed-carry ban, indicates they have little interest in listening to students.

They now have a cop-out in future cases where they violate our wishes. After passing a bill that violates the will of students, the BOG can now claim that students were represented but were outvoted.

We will have a seat at the table, but no possible chance to win. With eight board members that ignore our demands and only two representatives who understand student desires, the BOG will continue to make policies unfriendly to students.

This is a positive step for students, but this can’t be the end. We’ve won nothing more than token representation through this vote. We still have no real power, and the BOG can still pass bad legislation without hearing our voice.

I congratulate ASCSU for winning this battle for a student voice, but the struggle must go on.

Editorials Editor Ian Bezek is a senior economics major. His column appears Mondays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.