Authors: Kirsten Silveira

The CSU System Board of Governors voted 8-0 this morning to ban concealed weapons on both the Fort Collins and Pueblo campuses.

The board gave CSU President Tony Frank and CSU-Pueblo President Joe Garcia an Aug.1 deadline for putting the policy into action, BOG spokesperson Michele McKinney said in a phone interview with the Collegian.

Opponents of the ban have vowed in past public meetings and press conferences to sue the BOG in an effort to reverse the decision. As of this morning, no lawsuit has been filed.

McKinney said the board had seen no copy a lawsuit yet and she declined to comment further.

During the public comment portion of this morning’s meeting, McKinney said that while no board members commented before the vote, two proponents of concealed carry laws on campuses spoke, as well as two others who suggested changes to the new policy.

Cooper Anderson, a senator for the Associated Students of CSU who helped draft a resolution in support of keeping campus gun-friendly that was passed by ASCSU last semester, said in a phone interview that the new gun ban policy is too narrow and does not provide enough exemptions.

“Survivors (of sexual assault), people who have general concerns about their safety –– under this policy they can’t make their case (to be allowed to carry a gun),” Anderson said, adding his concerns come from stories shared by survivors with ASCSU.

Anderson also said he had expected that the board would vote for the ban but said he was has been concerned with the section of Frank’s policy that allows only law enforcement, members of the military and Reserve Officers’ Training Core to carry guns.

Despite his concerns and several more made in a written report distributed to the board recently – including evidence that shows the CSU Fort Collins campus has seen reduced crime over the years in which concealed weapons were allowed – the BOG made no changes to its new policy.

CSU Chancellor Joe Blake had recommended the board approve both Frank’s and Garcia’s drafted policies.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.