Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Dean Madere is a self-described “constitutional conservative,” a term that he said defines a new breed of Republican.

A first time candidate for Senate, Madere said during a meet-and-greet at the Larimer County Republican Headquarters that he thinks Washington D.C. is out of touch with the people.

“If the decision makers are in Denver you’re going to have a voice,” he said, explaining that his ideal government would be based closer to its people.

The freshman candidate hopes to establish a coalition of “like-minded individuals” if elected in November. With this coalition, he promised to protect the state from a federal government he said has imposed upon and often blackmailed the states.

As a freshman candidate, Madere said if he wins the elections he hopes to establish a coalition of “like-minded individuals” and tackle the issue.

“The states need to push back,” he said, citing the current controversy over the healthcare legislation.

“It’s not a matter of left and right, it’s a matter of ‘we have a rule book,’” he said.

Madere, who promised he is a lot older than he looks, currently lives in Loveland with his family where he works as a territory manager for the heating and air conditioning manufacture Lennox Industries.

Calling himself a “grassroots candidate,” Madere said though his involvement with the Northern Colorado Tea Party –– a local activist group focused on upholding the U.S. Constitution –– mobilized his campaign, he has been interested in politics since he was a kid.

“I don’t want to save just the Republican party, I want to save the republic,” he said.

Tate Hedgespeth, a political science student at Front Range Community College, said Madere’s focus on the importance of the 10th Amendment, which allows each state the powers not delegated by the federal government or the Constitution, caught his attention.

“Throughout school we learned the Constitution is the way of the land,” Hedgespeth said.

While he thinks Madere will be able to get the ball rolling on reforming the system, he said he doesn’t see it happening in one term.
Madere’s platform also supports allowing all fossil fuels and renewable energy sources to compete in a free market and eliminating all forms of tax credits.

“The bottom line is, you’ve got to start somewhere if you want to change things,” Madere said.

_Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com. _