Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Revenge is not on the minds of the CSU Rams.

The Rams (15-10, 6-5 MWC) are looking to rebound after a difficult 92-70 loss to BYU on Wednesday and are set to do so on the road against the UNLV Rebels (19-7, 7-5).

CSU is 0-1 against the Rebels this season, falling in Moby Arena earlier this year. The Rams stayed close to UNLV for the majority of the contest, but faltered in the final three minutes of the late January game. The Rams were handed an 80-72 defeat as a result.

In the days following the loss, CSU head coach Tim Miles said his team gave the game away, but said it’s all in the past now.

“It was another place and time, so I don’t think it really plays into where we are at right now,” he said before practice Thursday afternoon. “Right now we’re coming off a tough loss to BYU, trying to find our bearings and trying to win in a tough road environment.”

Forward Pierce Hornung agreed with his coach and added that the revenge will not play a role in round two versus UNLV.

“It’s just like every other conference game, so we will treat it the same way, whichever way you look at it,” the true freshman said. “Whether it’s revenge or anything we’ll go into the game the same way, playing hard and definitely trying not to lose again.”

Dorian Green stepped up big for the Rams in their near-win against the Rebels last game. The freshman had 20 points and two steals in the loss and said that the team has high hopes for this game.

“It gives us some confidence knowing that we should have beaten them here,” Green said. “It’s going to be a completely different game the second time around. We have come out with focus and energy especially on the road.”

Green added that breaking the Rebel’s pressure is an offensive key for the Rams on Saturday at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

UNLV is led by guard Tre’von Willis, a junior who ranks second in the Mountain West with more than 18 points per game. Willis had 21 points against the Rams in the team’s first meeting this season.

Miles said stopping the Rebels starts by stopping Willis. The third year Rams coach said that his team will make that their focus.

“You have to,” Miles said about shutting down Willis. “He can take over a game so we’re going to have plan a, plan b and plan c ready for him.”

Including Saturday’s game at UNLV, the Rams have only five games left in the regular season. Even though the Rams are a combined 2-5 this season against their remaining opponents, Miles likes the Rams chances the rest of the way.

“I have a great amount of confidence in every one of our games we have left,” he said. “I think it is going to be a lot of fun down the stretch.”

Tip off for Saturday’s game is set for 4 p.m. Go to CollegianSports.com for post game highlights.

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.