The entire world is in the middle of an economic recession, particularly the U.S., specifically Colorado and somehow a portion of the student populace is convinced they are being shortchanged with tuition increases?

Let me summarize the arguments that appeared in this very paper recently.

The Collegian editorial board opened Our View on Wednesday with the following statement, “Alright CSU, you’ve been hearing about this higher education crisis for some time now.”

To paraphrase: “The nation is in financial crisis, but this one is most important because it affects us.”

Our View also contained this gem, “Although a rally is not going to fix Colorado’s budget, at the very least it will send a powerful message to the state Capitol that we aren’t going to take it.”

Translation: “We, the entitlement generation, demand you, the citizens of Colorado, continue to pay for our education despite the economic hardships even our own families are experiencing. We care only that your money is paying for our individual futures.”

I wrote two columns related to this disease in American society. The first spoke to a degenerative and debilitating disease known as “entitlement.” The second spoke to the bursting of the education bubble and printed last fall.

The fact of the matter is that, not confined to CSU, Colorado or the nation, a delusion exists perpetuating the idea that governments have funds. They don’t. In any functioning government, the programs cost exactly what the government takes.

Take a deep breath and pull your cranium out your rectum if you don’t agree. Maybe the loud pop when you succeed will break through the fog of entitlement.

The entire concept of tax revenues means the government is going to take a portion of everyone’s money. It used to mean that anyway.

Some simple numbers on income taxes: 43 percent of Americans paid none, the top 20 percent paid 70 percent and the top 50 percent paid 99 percent of the taxes for 2008. I urge the top 20 percent to flee the nation before they take it all. In 1945, more than 90 percent of Americans were paying income tax; we call that “equality.”

I want to provide some potential good news for those of us recognizing an economic collapse as it occurs.

I feel as bad the rest of the world about Colorado failing to support your quest for the education you are convinced is necessary to sustain the lifestyle to which you’re accustomed, but Colorado did you a favor. You won’t have accumulated four years of untenable debt.

Now linger on that for a moment. Do you not feel less stressed already? The evil state of Colorado and its heartless citizens just relieved you of potentially $80,000 in personal debt over the next four years.

You can enter the workforce now, combat the need for illegal immigrants and make almost $80,000 over the next four years.
Why, simply by being alive you just made $160,000. How bad would things have gotten if you’d graduated in an economic depression owing $80,000 and no hope for gainful employment?

If nothing else, these cuts will certainly help military recruiting. Just imagine, after all the bitching you’ve done about how much more society owes you, you get the opportunity to earn a free education and a bi-monthly paycheck while answering, “what you can do for your country.”

What I find appalling about complaints of funding cuts to higher education is the irony of college students failing to acknowledge there is no money.

We are not through the economic downturn; this thing has been a belch when clearly projectile vomiting is necessary.

Housing prices kept artificially high, peak oil has likely already happened, the excess personal debt that caused this whole mess has not been liquidated, these are just some of the flashing neon signs that nothing has changed.

Wake up CSU, there is no money. You want higher education. Get it yourself. Colorado doesn’t owe you a thing.
_
Seth J. Stern is a non-traditional student. He antagonizes liberals and hippies every Friday in the Collegian. Charitable donations to support his efforts can be sent to letters@collegian.com._