Authors: Marshall Frey, K-State Collegian

Readers, do you remember learning about the Founding Fathers in grade school? You know, those guys who wrote the letter to the British, the same guys that dumped a few thousand pounds of tea into the Atlantic?

These were the guys who drafted the ever-important piece of legislation that we know as the U.S. Constitution. I know it seems illogical that I pose such a nonsensical question, but perhaps not. It seems that as a nation we’ve strayed away from what made this nation great.

I do not see anywhere in the Constitution where the founding fathers wrote in a clause giving life, liberty and universal health care for all. Nor can I find the clause in the Constitution where it requires the government to provide unemployment benefits for six months or provide trailers to victims of natural disasters.

I think helping people get back on their feet is a great thing, but I don’t think it is the responsibility of the federal government. Rather the responsibility falls on the shoulders of us as U.S. citizens.

Our nation became prominent not because people waited around for the government to send their unemployment check via Pony Express, but because people went out and took responsibility for the mouths they had to feed. The United States didn’t become great because our ancestors spent time bickering over who can and can’t fight in the military, but because they laced up their combat boots and put foot to tail for their country because it was the right thing to do.

If we want to get anywhere close to being back on track as a country, we need to stop waiting for Washington to hand us the next bailout or pay our next doctor bill. Instead we need to pull ourselves up by our boot straps and take action.

That’s why I’m challenging you. I challenge you to do what you know in your heart is right. I’m calling on you to join me in taking responsibility. If your neighbor’s house is flattened by a twister, help him put it back up.

If you find yourself without a job with a family to feed and bills to pay, please don’t spend time in the unemployment line. Find a job doing something. Find a job doing anything. I know it might not be the most glorious job ever, but I think providing for your family by any means possible is. Fortitude and diligence made America great, not waiting for federal checks in the mail.

People always told me growing up that doing the right thing was hard to do. Actually, when you think about it, doing the right thing is fairly simple and straightforward. In life we come to a crossroads on a daily basis in which we are presented with the opportunity to do the right thing.

We either choose to do the right thing or we don’t. It is that simple. I’m calling on you to do the right thing. It is time that we take some responsibility and make the United Staets great again because ultimately it is our nation and our responsibility.

Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.