Authors: Laura James

“Valentine’s Day,” the new film from famed comedian and director Garry Marshall, is a star-studded spectacle meant to dazzle the audience with its A-list cast.

On the whole, however, the movie has a mediocre plot and wastes the talents of several different actors.

But if you are looking to poke fun at the silliness and commercialization of Valentine’s Day, then this is your movie.

“Valentine’s Day” was strategically released the Friday before Valentine’s Day to cater to those couples looking for a good date movie and women who enjoy this type of film. And with the crowds flocking to see this film, it was boosted up to the top of the box office this weekend.

Marshall, the director of several other chick-flicks –– “Pretty Woman,” “Runaway Bride,” “The Princess Diaries” and “The Other Sister” –– is known for delivering a combination of quality sappiness with decent laughs.

His newest flick does much the same thing, while at the same time being a wannabe knockoff of “Love Actually.”

The film follows different story lines starting out on the morning of Valentine’s Day. Ashton Kutcher has just proposed to his girlfriend Jessica Alba, Anne Hathaway and Topher Grace have just hooked up for the first time after two weeks of dating, Jamie Foxx is a sports news anchor sent out to document Valentine’s Day “fluff” against his will, and Taylor Lautner and Taylor Swift are hysterical high school sweethearts full of lust on this sexually charged holiday.

Predictably, all of the plotlines in the film are connected, but there are little interesting twists. Jennifer Garner, Queen Latifah, Hathaway, and Jessica Biel are all strangely connected, as are Bradley Copper, Julia Roberts and Eric Dane.

In the end hearts are broken and mended, friends discover their true feelings and love conquers all on this holiday of romance.

Movie reviewer Laura James can be reached at verve@collegian.com.