Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Pretty soon it could really suck to be a CSU Ram. Or a CU Buff. Or a UNC Bear.

You get the point.

The Denver Post reported Friday that the Democratic and Republican movers and shakers down at the capitol are working on a bipartisan plan that would allow Colorado’s universities to jack-up tuition prices without legislative approval.

Currently, annual tuition hikes are capped at 9 percent per year, but Senate Majority Leader John Morse, D-Colorado Springs, and Minority Leader Josh Penry, R-Grand Junction, say eliminating the cap is one solution the legislature is looking at to help ease the burgeoning burden on universities created by fast-disappearing state funding for higher education.

As many students already know well, inflating tuition prices hurt bad, even at the current growth rate. If tuition prices are allowed to escalate even quicker, some –– if not many –– public school students could find themselves out of luck and out of school.

But the problem is not with the legislature’s plan or universities’ desire to raise tuition rates.

Colorado’s broken funding system is forcing legislators to make hard decisions where no good options remain. High tuition is far from ideal but neither are schools without enough money to fund their programs.

It’s way past time to wake up.

If students and community members refuse to force changes in Colorado’s budget scheme, non-solution solutions like eliminating tuition restrictions and privatizing public universities will be all we are left with.

Tuition will skyrocket and the proverbial education door will close for many who deserve a chance to further their future but just don’t have the cash.

Get ready to say it together folks: “It sucks to be a CSU Ram.”