Authors: Stephen Meyers

CSU football is losing one of its bright, young coaches to the NFL.

Marc Lubick, CSU’s tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator, is leaving the staff to accept an NFL position as a coach with the Houston Texans, Rams head coach Steve Fairchild said Thursday.

“I’m excited, this is a great opportunity and a big step in my career,” Lubick, 32, said. “It’s something I’ve always thought about. I’ll be working at the highest level of competition and learning a lot every day, learning new offensive schemes and ultimately becoming a better coach.”

Lubick heads to a Texans team coached by former Denver Broncos quarterback and offensive coordinator, Gary Kubiak. The Texans could arguably be called the Rams of the south as Lubick’s arrival on the staff gives the Texans eight current coaches or players with direct connections to the CSU football program including wide receiver David Anderson, whom Lubick coached in 2005.

“That will be great working alongside a great group of guys I recognize,” Lubick said.

Named CSU’s recruiting coordinator on Jan. 12, Lubick recently helped sign 28 recruits –– a group heralded as the best recruiting class in CSU football history. Rivals.com ranks the class as the fourth best in the Mountain West.

Lubick developed strong recruiting connections in the state of Florida, where he grew up when his father, Sonny, was the defensive coordinator at the University of Miami prior to becoming CSU’s head coach.

“Losing Marc will be tough, because he did a great job for us in my two seasons as head coach, but
I’m quite sure we will move forward,” Fairchild said in a press release. “Recruiting always is a collective effort on a college coaching staff, and we will pick up the slack until we can hire someone to replace him.”

Fairchild named Lubick to his staff Dec. 12, 2007. Lubick has been in charge of the Rams’ tight ends the past two seasons.

Lubick spent 10 seasons on the CSU coaching staff, beginning as a student assistant in 2000 under his father. From 2005 to 2007, Lubick coached the wide receivers before switching to tight ends.
Houston will be Lubick’s second NFL stint, but his first as a coach. From 2003-04, he worked with Fairchild as a scouting assistant for the St. Louis Rams. Lubick will serve as an assistant on the
Texans’ offensive staff working with wide receivers and quarterbacks.

Though jumping to the NFL is a big step in his coaching career, Lubick will miss and cherish his time at CSU.

“There are lots of things I’m going to miss about coaching at CSU,” Lubick said. “I’ve loved working with this staff and these players, and I’m excited that we’ve started to turn this thing around. It’s special.”
_
Football Beat Reporter Stephen Meyers can be reached at sports@collegian.com._

• Spent 10 years on CSU coaching staff
  • Hired by father, Sonny Lubick, as student assistant on coaching staff in 2000
  • Worked as scouting assistant for St. Louis Rams with Steve Fairchild from 2003-2004
  • Coached wide receivers from 2005-2007
  • Hired by Steve Fairchild as tight end coach on Dec. 12, 2007