Authors: Jordyn Dahl

A local church program is hosting a 5K run/walk Saturday on CSU’s Oval to raise money to send members of the community and Timberline Church to Texas over Spring Break as part of a community service project.

Beach Reach, a program through Timberline Church, aims to raise $50,000 to pay for breakfast, air fare and taxi services for the about 60 people traveling to South Padre Island, Texas to provide safe rides and a pancake breakfast to Spring Break partiers.

Created in 1982, Beach Reach provides an outlet for Fort Collins residents and students to connect with the South Padre Island community and spring breakers while keeping them safe, said Justin Bolig, the director of Beach Reach.

Those interested in participating in the run can register at the local store Runners Roost, located on Council Tree Avenue, or online at http://www.active.com. Students get a $5 discount if they register at Runners Roost.

There are 135 people currently registered for the race but the church is hoping for a turnout of 200 or more.

This is the seventh year Timberline Church has sent community members down to the island as part of Beach Reach. Approximately 15 of the 60 going to Texas are CSU students, Boling said.

Staff writer Jordyn Dahl can be reached at news@collegian.com.