Authors: Joe E. Goings

Poet, historian and co-creator of Def Poetry Jam Bruce George will share his talent for the spoken word with the CSU community today as part of the university’s celebration of Black History Month.

George was chosen over the great-granddaughter of Civil Rights leader Booker T. Washington. He will give his presentation at 7 p.m. in the Cherokee Park Ballroom in the Lory Student Center.

“He seemed like he would be a good person for a younger audience to relate to,” said Jaleesa McIntosh, the president of Black Definition, an on-campus advocacy group dedicated to issues in the black community. “As a poet and historian, I feel he would be able to communicate on (the students’) level.”

Black Definition collaborated with the Associated Students of CSU to bring George to the university at the price of $4,000. ASCSU is covering the costs.

The group’s goal was to get a speaker who will speak specifically about black history. George will provide a perspective on aspects of black history that are less well known, McIntosh said.

“I think that he will bring a lot of diversity in the way he presents history and what he presents,” she said.

George was born in New York City and has written poetry for 37 years. He has won a Peabody Award, given for excellence in radio and broadcasting for his work on “Russell Simmons Presents, Def Poetry.”

“Black Definition showed appreciation by asking him to come here,” McIntosh said, “but it would be great if people of all cultures and backgrounds came to support Black History Month.”
_
Staff writer Joe E. Goings can be reached at news@collegian.com._

What: Spoken word poetry by Def Poetry Jam Co-creator Bruce George
When: 7 to 9 p.m.
Where: Lory Student Center, Cherokee Park Ballroom