Authors: K.C. Fleming

It seems, that on the “green” campus, red and pink valentines are a thing of the past.

Instead, as part of the Coalition for Campus Sustainability’s project, students will have the opportunity to make Valentine’s Day cards from eco-friendly and salvaged arts-and-crafts materials on the Plaza Feb. 10.

On two tables on the Plaza, CCS will have an assortment of eco-friendly and salvaged arts-and-craft materials that students can either use to make a card at the table or take any of the materials they want for crafting one later.

Materials will include eco-friendly glitter, an assortment of paper, such as old books and maps from the Gifts & Discard Department in the Morgan Library and other paper from recycle bins from across campus.

Members of CCS will be at the tables helping students make their valentines.

“So many resources are used for the manufacturing of decorations—just kind of pointless stuff,” said CCS president Alysse Brice, a junior natural resources recreation and tourism major. “So it’d be really nice if we could get rid of a lot of waste by just reusing it.”

This event is in conjunction with the 10-week long national competition RecycleMania and is meant to help raise awareness about sustainable living.

According to the national RecycleMania Web site, http://recyclemaniacs.org, CSU dropped from sixth place after week one to 13th place after week two, with an over all recycling rate of 55.40 percent.

Brice expressed her concern over the reported drop in the recycling rates of the first two weeks.

“My first guess it that it has something to do with the reporting that has been going on since RecycleMania began,” she said. “Or, you know, maybe this week people just didn’t want to recycle?”

“To tell you the truth, when you get to the behind the scenes stuff of RecycleMania it is kind of, I don’t know, no body knows exactly how everybody is doing. Some schools just report estimates, and it will say that, like ‘these are just estimates,’” she said.

“It’s pretty vague, but as far as we know, all we can do is just weigh our recyclables and compare it to what we are throwing away and get basically an estimate.”
_
Staff writer K.C. Fleming can be reached at news@collegian.com._

Make sustainable, “green” Valentine’s Day cards

Where: The Lory
Student Center Plaza

When: Wednesday, Feb. 10, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.