Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

The first two seasons of Director of Athletics Paul Kowalczyk’s tenure at CSU will always be remembered by the firings that took place: Dale Layer, Jen Warden and, of course, Sonny Lubick.

Certainly CSU’s Athletics programs would be headed for worse days without Pauly K, instead of putting bad times behind.

Now, in his fourth year as Athletics director, we’re starting to buy in to his scheme as the early signs of long-term success are starting to show.

The obvious evidence is the CSU football program and its new direction.

Despite ending last season with the worst in-conference record in the history of the Mountain West, Steve Fairchild and the Rams are showing a strong upside with top recruits and a beautiful Indoor Practice Facility. And it hasn’t been long enough to start forgetting the New Mexico Bowl championship in 2008.

Then we have Tim Miles and the Rams men’s basketball team.

It’s safe to say that people are starting to believe in Moby Magic, and that a postseason berth in the National Invitational Tournament could be this team’s destination. At the very least, CSU should be playing in the College Basketball Invitational this March.

We still have faith in women’s basketball coach Kristen Holt, though this season hasn’t gone as planned. Anything is better than watching Warden attempt to “coach.”

But there is still work to be done, and while a five-year extension seems like a positive move, there has to be positive results.

Since the students are footing at least part of the bill, will Kowalczyk continue to improve Ram Athletics? What do you say, Pauly K?