Authors: Adam Booth

I think that we all need to thank Tom Tancredo for finally standing up and saying what needed to be said. Most people know of Tom Tancredo from his presidential campaign and his, what some people viewed as, radical immigration agenda. So he definitely has a track record for stirring up the general public.

On Thursday, at the first Tea Party Convention in Nashville, Tenn., the former Colorado Congressman and 2008 Republican presidential candidate made strong statements regarding both parties in the 2008 election.

Tancredo said, “People who couldn’t even spell the word vote, or say it in English, put a committed socialist ideologue in the White House. His name is Barack Hussein Obama.” Socialist is definitely not a word that is taken lightly in United States’ politics, but it applies here.

People voted in Obama solely because he wasn’t President Bush. Not many people knew whom they were actually voting into the presidency.

That was the overall message that was being portrayed in Tancredo’s speech. Everyone that voted for Obama was so caught up in this “change” that no one took the time to look at the facts and the actual politics of his campaign.

Tancredo was no more in favor of the Republican candidate Sen. John McCain, saying “thank God John McCain lost the election.” Obviously there was no safe side from Tancredo’s fire. He saw McCain as being just another repeat of both Bush administrations. His other problem with McCain was that he was not tough enough on his plan for immigration.

“We do not have a civics literacy test before people can vote in this country,” Tancredo said, calling out the general public for being ignorant when voting. The literacy tests that are being mentioned are similar to those that were required of blacks back in the history of the United States and this has caused a lot of uproar from those who call Tancredo a racist.

And if he were to suggest that only an individual race or nationality take this test, then yes, I would agree that he is a racist. But he feels that all Americans, and I emphasize the term Americans, should have to take this test.

Personally, I think that it is a great idea. So many people are too caught up in political parties that they do not look at candidates based on their credentials and ideals. Instead, Obama was able to win on his agenda of “change.” Of course his change was in reference to the Bush administration, but what else did his campaign stand on?

Now a lot of American citizens are upset with the fact that Obama has not made any improvements or followed through with his promises. That is the exact type of problem that could be solved by these literacy tests mentioned by Tancredo.

The Tea Party members are not all in favor of what Tancredo had said during his speech but were for the most part in agreement. The Tea Party Nation is founded much more on a conservative standpoint than a Republican one. Judson Phillips, who is the founder of the Tea Party Nation and organizer of this convention said, “Tom Tancredo gave a fantastic speech last night.” Phillips also thinks that Tancredo hit on a lot of key points when describing President Obama.

Tom Tancredo finally made the stand that conservatives have been waiting for. But unlike other recent politicians, the radical ideas that he wants to put in place have the potential to be enacted. Tancredo reminds us that Americans need to be responsible for the change that they want to take place.

Instead of voting for the man who could allegedly bring us change, be intelligent enough to make it happen yourself. Maybe Tancredo’s speech and the efforts of the Tea Party Nation will be tools that help our country to succeed.

Adam Booth is a sophomore undeclared major with an interest in business. His column appears occasionally in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.