Authors: Matt Minich, Madeline Novey

CSU mechanical engineering student Devon Arnold, whose body was found on a set of train tracks east of Denver Thursday morning, was thought by authorities to have jumped onto a train while intoxicated, according to the Associated Press.

Foul play or suicide are not suspected in the 22-year-old Alpha Tau Omega fraternity memberís death however, Maggie Martinez, spokesperson for the Weld County Sheriffís Office told the AP.

While it is not definitive yet, Student Affairs is talking with Arnold’s family to determine if a service will be held at CSU, spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg said Friday.

Arnold was reported missing by about 10 to 12 ATO members after he disappeared Wednesday night while attending a Nuggets game at the Pepsi Center, ATOís Executive Director Wynn Smiley said.

According to the AP, Smiley said Arnold had been drinking and was asked to leave the arena.

After searching for him, his fellow ATO members called Denver police to report him missing.

Arnold’s body was discovered after an engineer from Burlington Northern Railroad phoned police to report a body on the tracks.

The body was found two miles east of Keenesburg in a remote area that Martinez said was far from any populated areas.

Agreeing that Arnold’s death is a loss to both the Greek and CSU communities, Smiley said, “The guys in the chapter are stunned and very sad, and there are students on campus who share those same feelings because he was so involved.”

Arnold was a “really smart guy, one of those guys who stands out,” Smiley said, adding that he was “well known” and involved in several organizations.

Other CSU organizations on campus and various sororities have reached out to ATO since the incident, Smiley said, adding that members of the fraternity have received enough meals from the university community to last them through Tuesday.

“The chapter is very appreciative of the campus outreach,” he said.

Following news of his death, CSU issued the following statement:

“Devon’s death is a tragic event that saddens many in the university community,” said spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg in an e-mail to the Collegian. “We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends for their loss.”

_News Editor Matt Minich contributed to this report.
News Managing Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com._