Authors: Kyle Grabowski

LARAMIE, Wyo. – The CSU women’s basketball team lost its fourth consecutive game on Saturday, falling 69-52 against Wyoming in Laramie.

Wyoming improves to 14-7 overall, 5-4 in the Mountain West, with the win, while the loss drops CSU to 11-11. CSU has not defeated the Cowgirls in the regular season since 2005, however they came out on top in the Mountain West Conference Championships last year.

Wyoming took their biggest lead of 20 points on a Randi Richardson free throw with 1:47 remaining, capping a 9-0 run by the Cowgirls to put the game on ice.

“We’ve gotta focus on bringing it every single minute of the game,” sophomore guard Kim Mestdagh said. “Not taking plays off.”

Mestdagh led the Rams in scoring with 12 points and dished out one assist. Freshman Chantel Kennedy brought down a career-high nine rebounds, including three on the offensive glass.

The Rams only committed 14 turnovers during the game, but were out-rebounded 47-35.

The Rams’ interior players continued to struggle for the second consecutive game. Chatilla van Grinsven and Meghan Heimstra combined for only 12 points and seven rebounds on the afternoon, well below their combined season averages of 20.2 points and 14.8 rebounds per game.

“Our post players have gotta be able to give us more than what they’re doing,” CSU head coach Kristen Holt said. “Even if they’re struggling as far as scoring, they’ve gotta get us rebounds.”

CSU trailed by only four at halftime, but Wyoming went on a five-point run to open the half and the Rams never recovered. The first half was played closely, and the Rams even held a four point lead with 17:46 remaining. CSU held the Cowgirls scoreless for the first 4:53 of the game until junior Hilary Carlson hit a three-pointer to put Wyoming on the board.

Carlson went on to score 25 points and pull down 15 rebounds.

“Hilary Carlson killed us tonight,” Holt said.

Redshirt junior Audre Vandiver also recorded a double-double for the Cowgirls with 15 points and 11 rebounds.

Saturday’s falter was the Rams’ third consecutive double-digit loss on the road. CSU has not won a game since defeating New Mexico on Jan. 23.

“Losing streaks are pretty hard to deal with,” Heimstra said.

CSU is back in action on Tuesday as they host a struggling Air Force team who has lost nine in a row, all of which came against MWC opponents. Tip off is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.