Authors: David de Besche

The CSU Swimming and Diving Team fell for the second time this season Thursday night in Wyoming. The Rams lost the Border War 162-138 in a very competitive Mountain West Conference dual meet.

This “rubber match” went to the Cowgirls, who outlasted CSU, going 3-2 against the Rams in the last five seasons.

However, CSU lost the team felt good about their performance.

“I’m certainly not disappointed with the way the athletes performed,” said coach John Mattos about the tight meet between bitter rivals.

Sophomore Breann Fuller and senior Jennifer Muniz carried the Rams, both taking first in their individual events.

Even in winning, the Rams didn’t totally feel right in the water in Wyoming.

“I would have liked to swim faster, but I did what I could,” Fuller said.

The Border War was hyped up quite a bit and the Rams knew they were heading into treacherous territory when traveling north.

“It was defiantly a hostile environment. They had their men’s team lining their deck and had tons of fans. It was pretty rowdy,” Fuller said on the atmosphere at Corbett Pool in Laramie.

With this loss, the Rams drop to 8-2 (6-2 MWC) and will head into the conference championships in Oklahoma City in late February ranked third in the conference.

The Rams are looking forward to preparing for the conference championships even after losing to Wyoming.
“We get to start our taper, our bodies will be rested and were going to swim fast at conference,” Fuller said about the expectations for the coming weeks.

Sports reporter David de Besche can be reached at sports@collegian.com.