Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Nancy Hartley can be described as both the forest and the trees, said David MacPhee, her long-time colleague and professor of human development and family studies.

Hartley, who is returning from a 10-year retirement to fill the position of dean of the College of Applied Human Sciences, understands how the departments within the college operate, the big picture and the importance of fundraising ­­–– the smaller details –– he said.

After coming to CSU in 1988, Hartley worked in the School of Education and later advanced to dean of the college, which she held for 10 years. April Mason later took the post in 2004, at which point Hartley retired from CSU.

Hartley will come out of retirement to take over as interim dean on Feb. 15 after Mason accepted a job as provost and executive vice president at Kansas State University.

CSU Spokesperson Dell Rae Moellenberg said Hartley will likely serve as interim dean for a year while a committee conducts a national search for and hires a permanent dean.

She said the university has not set an official timeframe for hiring, however.

“Many people called asking if I could come back,” she said. “I loved my job. I loved the college.”

The extensive budget cuts looming over the college, Hartley said, will not be the first she’s dealt with, but said she intends to work hard to ensure the deficits don’t impact students.

“(The previous cuts) didn’t involve as much belt tightening as this one,” MacPhee said, adding that he is sure Hartley has enough previous experience to handle the fiscal restrictions.

During her retirement, Hartley said she continued to be involved in both the university and Fort Collins communities, serving on the Board of Trustees for the Poudre Valley Health System and working on committees for the Poudre Valley School District.

And she continued to work with leaders from the College of Applied Human Sciences throughout her retirement.

Described by MacPhee as an “open and direct leader,” Hartley said she plans to keep an open dialog with the student leadership for the College of Applied Human Sciences, “(They) will be a liaison to the students.”

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.

• Name: Nancy Hartley
  • Current position at CSU: Hartley was asked to come out of retirement to serve as the interim dean of the College of Applied Human Sciences
  • Start date: Feb. 15
  • Started at CSU: in 1988
  • Positions: worked in the School of Education and later served as the school’s director, ascended to dean of the College of Applied Human Sciences, where she worked for 10 years