Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU’s women’s basketball team looks to snap it’s three-game losing streak Saturday at 2 p.m. in Laramie against the Wyoming Cowgirls.
In their first meeting this season, the Cowgirls escaped Fort Collins with a 64-61 win after sophomore Kim Mestdagh’s turnaround three-pointer wouldn’t fall at the buzzer.

Wyoming is 13-7 this season, posting a 7-1 record at home.

The Cowgirls are fifth overall in Mountain West standings with a 4-4 record within the conference. They rank second in the conference in scoring at 68.6 points per game as well as first in three-point shooting, hitting 39 percent of their attempts. No single player dominates Wyoming’s scoring; they have had four different leading scorers this season.

Junior Hilary Carlson, junior Aburey Vandiver, and sophomore Emma Langford all average double figures for Wyoming.

After a heartbreaking loss last time out against Utah, the Rams enjoyed a solid day of practice Thursday and worked on some of their issues that plagued them.

“In the beginning of the game we need to maintain focus,” junior guard Zoi Simmons said. “We have to go out there and know that we can win.”
In the loss to the Utes, CSU only grabbed 12 offensive rebounds and 28 rebounds total.

“Our effort stats have to improve and I think that’s one of them,” head coach Kristen Holt said.

Saturday’s game opens the second half of conference play for CSU. In the first half they compiled a 3-5 record with two of those wins coming away from the friendly confines of Moby Arena.

“We hope that we can defend our home court as much as possible,” Holt said of the second half of the conference season, “That isn’t going to be easy to do, but it would be good to pick up a couple of home wins and maybe get a couple road victories.”

In their previous meeting this season, CSU guard Kim Mestdagh struggled, only putting up eight points and shooting a woeful 25 percent from the field.

“Personally, I need to keep doing what I did last game (against Utah), mix it up more on offense, keep playing defense, and be aggressive,” Mestdagh said.

“As a team we just gotta improve from last game; you know, turnovers. Go there tall and strong and give everything they got.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.