Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Knights of the green and gold and orange?

The CSU Rams (13-10, 4-4 MWC) are set to look a little more orange than usual Saturday night as they host the Wyoming Cowboys (9-13, 2-6) at Moby Arena for round two of the hardwood Border War.

As part of a special tribute to CSU history, the Rams will sport throwback green and orange uniforms, an idea that excites head coach Tim Miles.
“I’ll have green and orange on Saturday, I just have to figure out what tie brings all the orange and green together,” Miles joked Thursday afternoon. “It’s something we’ve talked a lot about here for a couple of years. I hope the students embrace it. It’s a unique factor in our conference and I think we can make it special.”

Rams star freshman Dorian Green isn’t as convinced about the idea, but still thought changing colors for a game could be fun.

“It’s going to be different –– just the color scheme –– but it should be pretty cool,” the guard said. “It’s fun to throw it back and just being a rivalry game it should be a good atmosphere.”

With a win Saturday, the Rams will sweep the regular season series with the Cowboys. CSU downed Wyoming 83-73 to open up the conference season in January.

In the game, Rams forward Andy Ogide went off for 22 points and six rebounds, a stat the junior said he isn’t going to focus on.

“I know every game is different and they are going to have a different game plan,” Ogide, a 6-foot-9 forward, said. “I’m just going to go in and worry about myself. Whatever they do, we’ll adjust accordingly.”

Wyoming limps into the game as losers in five of their last six games and currently on a two-game losing streak.

Even though the Cowboys are down this season, Miles said you can’t count them out when it comes to the Border War.

“It’s a rivalry game and you just throw everything out for a rivalry game because teams get up and things even out. I just expect a really good game,” the third-year CSU coach said. “Our margin of error is not such that we can play anybody and say we are a clear favorite. We’re just not that good.”

Green agreed and added the Rams just need to focus on their own game.

“We know, especially in a rivalry game, nothing really matters,” the Kansas native said. “We just need to focus on going out there, executing our game plan, playing good, solid team defense and taking care of the ball and being patient on offense. With a rivalry you never know what is going to happen.”

Rams halfway through

With a road win against Utah on Wednesday, the Rams reached the halfway point of the conference season.

Currently, CSU sports a 4-4 conference record and sits fifth in the MWC standings, a fact that leaves Miles with mixed feeling.

“We wanted to show progress and I thought we showed progress, but at the same time we gave one up to UNLV and you still feel like you have to find a way to go get that one back,” he said. “I think this second part of the conference will be telling to just how much progress we have made.”

Ogide explained CSU reached a goal by being .500 in conference, but said he thinks the team can do better.

“At the bare minimum, that’s where we wanted to be and we are there,” he said. “We just have to keep getting better, keep stealing games on the road and we’ll be alright.”

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.