Authors: Ryan Sheine

Marijuana and Christianity might seem like odd subjects to discuss in the same context.

But Ryan Couch is trying to open that dialogue.

The pastor with a newly established Fort Collins church of evangelistic Christians, Missio Dei held a public forum to discuss whether or not Christians should be allowed to smoke pot.

The most cogent opinions voiced during the meeting revolved around Genesis 1:29, which reads: “And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.”

God wants Christians to use the available natural assets, which they said include pot, to their full advantage. Others postulated that the terms of use may not include smoking, which can be harmful to a person’s lungs.

Jason Laurie, another organizer of the event and a candidate for an elder position with the church, said that Christians need a method of approaching the topic of marijuana.

“God created all things for good,” he said, but added that negative views of marijuana use are not without merit, stressing that restraint must be used. “… At what point am I no longer rational enough to make moral decisions.”

While the group didn’t come to a clear conclusion, that wasn’t the main purpose of the event, Couch told the crowd of about 45 people at Mulligan’s Pub south of campus.

“We aren’t here to be right or wrong,” Couch said. “We want to have dialogue and to discuss this issue.”

Ryan Taylor, a senior history and sociology major at CSU and self-described “drunken existentialist,” showed up to the event expecting to spark an argument with the Christians, but found that he agreed with most of what was said.

“We were expecting a fight, but that’s not what happened,” said Taylor, who showed up to the discussion with two friends and fellow existentialists who had been drinking for more than three hours. “I was impressed.”

Wednesday’s event is the first in a series of discussion to be held on the first Wednesday of every month that organizers are calling Theology Pub.

Laurie said the next discussion could revolve around abortion, but that is not set in stone.

More information about the church can be reached at http://www.missiofc.com/community/theologypub/.

Staff writer Ryan Sheine can be reached at news@collegian.com.