Authors: Matt Miller

Following public input, the City Council tonight will decide whether to implement a pilot districted trash system for Northwest Fort Collins –– a system one councilmember said is bad for the city.

The public hearing, which takes place at City Council Chambers at 6 p.m. tonight, will include the terms of the new trash district, an area bordered by Prospect Road, College Avenue, the Poudre River and Overland Trail that would be served by a single waste management company.

City Council member Wade Troxell, D-4, said that the public largely doesn’t support the idea of redistricting trash services. The proposal by the city to adopt one trash service has surfaced three times in the past and has been met by debate from community members.

“I think it’s bad for Fort Collins; it’s bad public policy and has no redeeming qualities at all,” Troxell said. “It’s almost unanimous that no one wants it.”

After receiving proposals from two waste management companies, the city settled on Waste Management of Northern Colorado.

The city argues that a single trash district will help cut down on road ware, pollution and the number of trucks on the streets, but Troxell said that studies have shown that using a single trash company has an almost negligible impact on these problems.

“I expect to hear a lot of angry people,” Troxell said of the hearing. “The people feel that the city government has pulled the wool over their eyes.”

In addition to discussion of the program details, the council will hold a forum for question and answers from community and council members.

“I think as a basic idea it makes sense,” said City Council Member Ben Manvel, D-1. “But the devil is in the details.”

The council will make its decision whether to implement the districted trash system in the weeks following the hearing.
_
Staff writer Matt Miller can be reached at news@collegian.com._

Public hearing on trash districting

What: Public hearing to discuss the terms and details of the city’s proposed, pilot, districted trash program

Where: City Council Chambers, 300 LaPorte Ave.
*
When:* 6 p.m.